When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Damien House - Day 1

August 14, 2011

It is a beautiful morning in Guayaquil.Breakfast was served to us in this cute little room (labodega) at Tangara. We had eggs, rolls, watermelon, cheese and coffee with cocoa. Once again, they served us everything. We loaded up the supplies in the van and our driver took them to the foundation. We walked to the Damien House since it was so nice outside. We passed the Catholic school & church on the way. I love that we get to walk to the foundation every day :) When we got to the Damien House we met Cesario. He, as well as other patients watch the front gate and let people in and out. We also met Jonathon, our translator. We got to work immediately after that – organizing the medical supplies, hygiene products and shoes. We did a great job on the hygiene drive! I couldn’t believe how much stuff was donated. God always provides. As I was sorting through items I realized that not so long ago we were all perfect strangers. I looked around the room and it was so beautiful to see how well we were working together. It made my heart smile to see the effort that was going into making sure things were where they needed to be. We then began organizing and setting up the supply room and patient rooms. It is really great to see these ladies outside of the classroom setting. They all have so much love in their hearts and it is clear to me why they have chosen this profession.

After lunch we got to meet many of the residents. We made our way to the women’s wing and met Sonja. She was beaming with smiles. Then it was time to meet the men of the Damien House. Some of them were still eating lunch and watching the futbal game on TV. Other’s were outside relaxing in their chairs. They were so excited to see us. After that, Mercedes (one of the residents) wanted to sing for us. Her husband was with her. He comes to visit her almost every day I believe. He plays his accordion, while she sings. Mercedes cannot see anymore, and her husband cannot see well. It was absolutely beautiful. Their love for each other was unreal. Day one at the Damien House = Success. The residents are beautiful and filled with so much love.













Tonight's agenda involved climbing the steps to the top of Cerro del Carmen. At the top is this beautiful statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The entire way up there are these beautiful stone images of the Stations of the Cross. All the while, the sun was setting and I could not think of another place on earth I would rather be at that moment in time. It was perfect for reflecting on the day and thanking God for bringing me here.

"O present moment, you belong to me whole and entire. I desire to use you as best I can."

St. Faustina Kowalska























No comments:

Post a Comment