When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Scooter

Today, I got out of bed like I would any other day. Before I got very far into my morning routine, I got news from my Pops that the horse my family had owned for over 25 years had died in the night. He said she died peacefully in a stall, because he could tell that she was not feeling well the last few days. Anyone who knows my family knows that Scooter was more than just a horse or a family pet to us.

When my Dad lost his leg in a farm accident many many years ago, Scooter was one of the things that helped him through. You know the saying that a dog is a man’s best friend? Well, in my family’s world, a horse is a man’s best friend. We’ve seen it every single day of our lives.

The Quincy Herald Whig even wrote an Article about my Dad and his business a few years ago. In the article, he talks about his accident and Scooter. This is what it said:

“Beloved Horses Helped Monroe City Man During Trying Times”

from the Quincy Herald-Whig, November 15, 2006

"It gave me a peace of mind to know I could still do something," he said. Long lost his leg after having it pinned to a cattle pen with the bucket of a tractor. His doctor had told him he'd be able to do everything he'd done before the accident. "But there was this little doubt in my mind," Long said. "Being able to get up on her and having the confidence to do what I'd done before…it helped on the road to recovery."

We all knew this day would come. We’ve talked about it for years. This summer Pops told us that he didn’t think Scooter would make it through the winter. However, nothing in the world could have prepared me for this day. She has been with our family since she was six months old. She would have been 27 in April. Dad was right. I should have known, because he knew her best.

It’s been a great ride pretty girl. You’ve provided us with some great memories. Rest in peace Scooter baby. We love you and miss you.



No comments:

Post a Comment