When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Missing NEMO

There’s something about a “quick” trip to the bank that turns into a forty-five minute errand that makes me appreciate where I’ve come from a little more every day. I just began my third term in my Master’s program (only two left after this one!), so I came home to spend a few days with the fam. It was the last chance I would have to see them until spring break. After that, I’ll see them for Easter, a couple of weeks in between spring and summer terms, and that is it until August. (Unless they make the trip to Kansas City to come see me…hint hint) Back to my point about my “quick” trip to the bank. I absolutely love this about Monroe. I can walk in, and everyone knows my name. I don’t have to have my account number, fill out a slip, or do anything. I can simply walk up to cash my check or deposit some money, and before I know it I have stopped to visit with almost every teller, loan processor, and every loan officer in the building. I’ve even parked my Jeep at the back door, because I know that if I don’t go to the back offices… Aunt Nancy, Uncle Jeff, and Coach Buz will have a bone to pick with me for not stopping in to say hello.

The people I have met in Kansas City think this is the craziest thing they have ever heard of. They can’t believe everyone in town knows me by name. They can’t believe I’m related to 10% of the town’s population. That might be a bit of an exaggeration, or maybe not.

I love that I can walk into Holy Rosary School and although some things have been painted and a few things have been fixed up here and there since I graduated back in 2002, I feel like it’s the same place I grew to love as a kid. I love that everywhere I look I see one of my relatives, considering my Mom, sister, two aunts, and cousin all work there. And I find pride in knowing that they play such an important part in instilling good Christian values in the kids that are growing up in the community that I have grown to miss.

I love that I can walk into Monroe City Manor and see the aged faces of so many people that have been such an important part of Monroe City’s community over the years. I love that even though my Granny’s memory is fading fast, as soon as she sees me walk through the door her eyes light up, a smile spreads across her faces, and she waves a huge wave to make sure that I see her. I only wish I could see that every day. I love that as I sit down beside her, she gently grabs for my ponytail and starts to play with my hair like she has done so many times before. (Secretly, she’s one of the only people that I actually like to play with my hair.) And as I get up to leave, she tells me she loves me, kisses my cheek and asks when I will be back. I think to myself how many times in my twenty-three years of life I’ve taken those good-byes for granted. Now I hang on to them and hope that I’ll have the chance for many more.

My weekends at home go by so fast. The older I get and the longer I am away from home, the more I miss my family and long to be closer to them. I love Kansas City and the friends that I’ve made there. God has blessed me with a community of holy people, friends that I can go to Mass, Bible study, and Adoration with; friends that I can pray and love Jesus with. He has blessed me with friends that I can serve others with. These are the same people I live each day with and I am so very thankful. However, home is where my faith and story began and that is where I will end up. Come December, I will be happy to be closer to my family when I am finally finished with school.

No comments:

Post a Comment