When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Reunited with Abby Rose

Six and a half years ago I was in between my sophomore and junior years of high school. My youth group decided to take a group to Catholic Heart Work Camp in Lexington, Kentucky. Of course I went… I did everything that had anything to do with Holy Rosary’s youth group, especially if it meant getting out of Monroe City for a week! Little did I know that it would change my life forever, and that I would meet someone who would end up being a lifelong friend. After this week of service, I had a completely different outlook. It was then that I decided I wanted to take part in service trips each year (and went on to take them to New Orleans, LA; Twin Cities, MN; Natchez, MS; Lake Waccamaw, NC; and Haiti twice).

That was the week I met Abby. Abby was in my small group and as soon as we met I knew we were going to be friends. We both came from big families, played basketball (#24!!!), high jumped (although she is much, much better than me. Division II champ, yes!) and had a love for Jesus and what we were doing. Everyone that week thought we were sisters, or related somehow!

A few weeks ago, I got on a plane and flew east to visit Abby. I hadn’t seen her in six and a half years (we write letters, facebook, text and call each other frequently) but when I stepped off the plane I felt like it was just yesterday that I had seen her. I absolutely love that about true friends. I love that God places people in your lives and allows your lives to cross again many years later. I felt so at home in the Kacsandi household. They took me in as if I were their own. I miss the nightly cups of tea, the endless supply of Christmas cookies, and constant eating : ), the 5 or was it 6 different girls calling daily for Alex, Abby’s adorable nieces, Cane’s and Graeter’s, the "Abby I usually double that recipe", hearing Abby's Dad say "Good night, sleep tight, God bless you" every night before bed and feeling as if I were telling my own Pops good night, and just simply feeling surrounded by people I felt like I had known all my life. Simply put, it was a good week. I just wish It wouldn't have taken me so long to get there!

Abby Rose, I miss you already! Let’s not wait another 6 and a half years to see each other!

Though miles may lie between us, we’re never far apart, for friendship doesn’t count the miles, it’s measured by the heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment